Monday, October 25, 2010

North trip.

So two weeks ago we hopped on the coach and took off for the extremely long drive to…the NORTH!!! Where the wind is even colder and the wifi is extremely overpriced. But really though, I loved it. It was a very relaxed week with lots of free time to explore and amazing things to see.

Our first day consisted mostly of driving, with stops at Chatsworth (aka Mr. Darcy’s house) and the Bronte Parsonage. I absolutely loved it because a) I’m in love with Mr. Darcy, and his house, and b) I love the Bronte sisters. Chatsworth was absolutely incredible, with large, elaborate rooms, filled with famous artwork, and surrounded by gorgeous gardens. The Bronte Parsonage wasn’t nearly as incredible, but still just as fun to see. It was just a little house tucked away next to a little church in a little town, but it’s always exciting to see the homes of people you admire.








Day two began with a tour of York Cathedral, followed by a day entirely to ourselves to shop, explore, and eat. I realize that this doesn’t sound like anything special, but I don’t think we’ve ever been so excited for anything the whole trip. Free time is something that doesn’t exist here at the center, and to be given an ENTIRE DAY of it had us giddy. I celebrated with a new pair of rain boots and a pretty new dress, along with Little Caesar’s Pizza and a Starbucks steamer.   
Day three: Durham Cathedral, which I’m sure would have been incredible, but sadly, our tour guide was extremely dull and we just couldn’t wait to get out of there. Next we went to Bede’s World, which is an entire museum dedicated to Bede the monk. Don’t know who Bede is? Neither did I, due to the fact that I didn’t do the reading. But that doesn’t mean that I didn’t love dressing up like him. After that we headed out to Hadrian’s Wall, which was built in AD 122 and marked the extent of the Holy Roman Empire. Not terribly exciting, but the view from the top was very pretty.





And then we were in Ambleside! An absolutely beautiful town in the Lake District, right off of Lake Windermere. Seriously, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything as gorgeous as that lake. Our hostel was right off of the water, and the view was so fantastic that it might have been worth the disgusting cafeteria food. While we were there we saw Dove Cottage, which was the home of the poet William Wordsworth, and Beatrix Potter’s home—where I may or may not have bought a pop-up Peter Rabbit book for my little nephew Nate (I told you Ash, I can’t do secrets. Surprise!) And then we took a boat ride across the lake, which was freezing, but so pretty. 

Day five was probably my favorite. On our way home, we got to stop in Preston to take a church history tour, where we saw the place where President Hinckley first preached on his mission, the home in which Heber C. Kimball, Joseph Fielding, and Orson Hyde lived while serving in England, and the river in which the first members of the church in England were baptized. Then on to the Preston Temple! Sadly, we didn’t get to go inside, but it was still fun to go and see it. After that we stopped in Liverpool for a total of 28 minutes, which wasn’t enough time at all, but we did get to see the dock where all of the members of the church left from to start their trek to the states.  




And then we got to sit on the coach and sleep/watch movies for the remaining three hours back to the center. Such a good way to end such a fabulous week.

3 comments:

  1. Fun! I loved that trip! Windermere is so wonderful!!! It's weird you guys don't get a lot of free time. I feel like while we were at the center, we had mostly free time... Strange. Maybe my memory is failing me in my old age:) Don't worry about not being able to stay in Liverpool for very long. We called that place Gotham because it was like a deserted ghost town! We ended up spending the majority of our evening there in a really cool graveyard because there was nothing fun to do. It looks like you did way cooler stuff elsewhere:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Livs, your pics are incredible! They look like something out of a movie. Nate is so excited he's clapping his hands--because he can do that now (don't be sad)! Windermere looks awesome. Have fun, and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynds-Thank you. I really was worried that I missed out on Liverpool, but now I feel better.

    Ash-I love you too and I hate/love that Nate can clap. Stop letting him learn new tricks.

    ReplyDelete